Monday, February 11, 2008

Hockey Players' Safety

Recently it has been brought to my attention that many of the hockey players that participate in the NHL do not wear mouth guards, neck guards, face masks or even plastic pieces that protect your ears. Yesterday a player on the Florida Panthers suffered a frightening accident, he was knocked to the ice and unfortunately one of his teammates skated too close to his neck and accidentally severed this player's neck. After this incident occurred I read more about Richard Zednik's condition, I learned that he went through a life saving surgery. This story brings to my attention that players in the NHL do not wear certain equipment that can help protect them. I know that it is the players' decision to wear certain equipment but I just don't really see the point of not wearing a face mask or neck guard. I play hockey and to be honest I dont wear a neck guard or a mouth guard, but after learning about the possibilities that can happen to me when I am out there on the ice I know I am going to think twice when putting on my gear in the locker room.

No comments: